Sixteen miners were killed by a coal explosion at Hapton Valley Colliery, Friday 23rd March 1962. Bickershaw Colliery was a coal mine, located at Westleigh, in Leigh, then within the historic county boundaries of Lancashire, England. Bickershaw Colliery, shortly before closure, August 1990. By 1959 a large amount of extraction had taken place and large goaf areas formed, progress was by a developing face to the dip with wing faces advancing east and west respectively. Many coal mining disasters of the early 20th century were covered by the photographer Warner Gothard of Barnsley. Bickershaw Nos. Many more miners were killed in everyday accidents than in the major disasters that had a catastrophic on mining communities, leaving widows and orphans without breadwinners. Nineteen lose their lives in strange and terrible accident at Bickershaw Colliery." M ining disasters in Lancashire in which five or more people were killed occurred most frequently in the 1850s, 1860s and 1870s. A further 21 men were injured.

Bickershaw Colliery. Bickershaw Colliery.

To be classified as a disaster, an accident or explosion at a mine has to claim at least ten lives. (8) At Bickershaw Colliery the Plodder Seam was developed in a south easterly direction on a line of almost full dip at an average gradient of 1 in 7. On the 10th October 1959 five men died from Carbon Monoxide that leaked out from an explosion in an abandoned district. Great Savings Free Delivery / Collection on many items

3 and 4 the other. List of mining disasters in Lancashire Last updated October 02, 2019 Monument to the Pretoria Pit disaster in which 344 men died in 1910 Fundraising postcard issued after the Maypole Colliery disaster.

Susicraft. (8) At Bickershaw Colliery the Plodder Seam was developed in a south easterly direction on a line of almost full dip at an average gradient of 1 in 7. H.M. Divisional/nspeetor of Mines and Quarries Presented to Parliament by the Minister 0/ Power Progress was by a developing face to the dip with wing faces advancing east and west respectively. Parkside Colliery, Newton-le-Willows. 1, 2, 3 and 4 Colliery Explosion, 10th October 1959 plan by NottsExMiner 1 Bignall Hill Colliery Explosion, 25th November 1911 by NottsExMiner The explosion occurred at one end of the 140-yard-long No.2 face of the Union seam, 250 yards below ground at the 100-year old pit. Yesterday at 5:55 AM; lock lass: Good morning everyone, hope you all had nice celebrations yesterday. From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia. 1, 2, 4 COLLIERY, LANCASHIRE REPORT On the causes of, and circumstances attending, the Explosion which occurred at Bickershaw 1, 2, 3 and 4 Colliery, Lancashire, on 10th October, 1959 BY R. H. CLOUGH, O.8.E.

The mine finally closed in March 1992.

Wed 6 May 2020, 11:15am; lock lass: Good morning everyone. Sat 9 May 2020, 5:51am; thinlizzy: Good morning lock lass and everyone on site.

The full report can be found here.

Leigh, Lancashire. Buy Photographs Collectable Mining Memorabilia and get the best deals at the lowest prices on eBay!

To be classified as a disaster, an accident or explosion at a mine has to claim at least ten lives. Parkide Colliery was the last coal mine to be mined in the Lancashire Area All original mining images from Mike Pendry. On the evening of the disaster it was stated that one of them was very seriously ill and the condition of 13 others was serious. The colliery had a mining history that spanned over 150 years. Abram Colliery Disaster 1908 : Comments: 13: Photo: RON HUNT Item #: 24456 : Photograph taken after the Abram Colliery Disaster August 18th 1908 : 13 user comment(s) below:- [Leave a comment] Comments by maggie, 12th January 2014 : My grandfather, Richard Roughley, was one of the rescuers.
Bickershaw Colliery is served by four shafts, numbered 1, 2, 3 and 4.

Mining deaths have occurred wherever coal has been mined across the Lancashire Coalfield. EXPLOSION AT BICKERSHA W Nos. List of Disasters. (1) In accordance with your direction given under the terms of Section 121 of the Mines and Quarries Act, 1954, I beg to report on the explosion which occurred behind stoppings in the Plodder Seam at Bickershaw Colliery on the afternoon shift of the 10th October, 1959, when five persons were killed.

At Bickershaw Colliery the Plodder Seam was developed in a south easterly direction on a line of almost full dip at an average gradient of 1 in 7.
A mobile laboratory was set up at the pithead and samples were brought from the coalface. Numbers 1 and 2 Shafts serve one part of the mine, and Nos. Contents. Bickershaw Colliery was a coal mine, located at Pennington, in Leigh, then within the historic county boundaries of Lancashire, England.. It is the first in the Lancashire coalfields since 1959, when five men lost their lives in an accident at Bickershaw Colliery, and the biggest in the division since nationalization. Great Savings & Free Delivery / Collection on many items

This is a list of mining accidents in the historic county of Lancashire at which five or more people were killed.