Why Should You Buy a Diamond Engagement Ring?
Many women dream of the moment they’re presented with a sparkling diamond engagement ring and most men turn automatically to diamonds when they start to think about proposing. In fact 80% of engagement rings bought in the world today are diamond rings, but what is it that makes a diamond ring the ultimate engagement symbol?
Here are some key facts about the origins of diamond engagement rings:
- The word diamond comes from the Greek word ‘adamas’ meaning unconquerable because of its incredible strength
- Diamonds were first discovered in India four thousand years ago but were valued so highly for their beauty that only royalty would have seen them.
- The ancient Greeks saw diamonds as the tears of the gods and the Romans believed they were pieces of falling stars
- The first recorded diamond engagement ring was give to Mary of Burgundy in 1477 but most people still would not have seen one at that time
- The solitaire ring as we know it today was introduced by Tiffany & Co. in the 1880s and became the classic symbol of engagement